Table of Contents
You think you know everything about MBL which stands for Major league baseball, and answer to the ultimate MLB trivia questions quiz game. MLB is a professional and most famous baseball organization. A total of 30 teams play in the National League (NL) and American League (AL), with 15 teams in each league. Baseball’s first professional team was founded in Cincinnati in 1869.
The period before 1920 in baseball was known as the dead-ball era; players rarely hit home runs during this time. Baseball survived a conspiracy to fix the 1919 World Series, which came to be known as the Black Sox Scandal. The sport rose in popularity in the 1920s, and survived potential downturns during the Great Depression and World War II.
Sharpen your knowledge about MLB by reading the interesting trivia facts below. Challenge your friends to see who is the bigger MLB fan with our MLB trivia questions & answers quiz.
Interesting MLB Trivia Facts
- Major League Baseball ranks fifth among domestic professional leagues in the world by total attendance (29,909)
- Clayton Kershaw (Los Angeles Dodgers) was 2014’s NL Most Valuable Player.
- The oldest professional baseball team, the Cincinnati Red Stockings (now the Reds), was founded in 1869.
- There are 108 stitches on each MLB ball.
- The distance from the pitcher’s mound to home plate is 60 feet, 6 inches.
- The distance between each of the four bases is 90 feet.
- In the early days of baseball, much of the first part of the 20th century was known as the “dead ball” era, and it wasn’t until the early 1920s that balls started flying out of the stadium at a much more rapid pace.
- The phrase “walk-off home run” didn’t apply before the 1920 season
- Louis Cardinals Hall of Fame first baseman Stan Musial retired in 1963 with 3,630 hits, the second-most in MLB history at the time, trailing only Ty Cobb.
- Contrary to popular belief, the New York Yankees were not the original team to introduce pinstripes to Major League Baseball uniforms. In 1911, both the New York Giants and Philadelphia Phillies sported pinstripes on uniforms for the very first time.
MLB Trivia Questions & Answers
Q. Name the first player born in the 1990s to appear in a major league game.
Q. How many intentional walks did Roger Maris get in his 61 home run season?
Q. Name the pitcher with the best won-lost percentage of any hurler.
Q. For one point, what was the original name of the NY Yankees franchise?
Q. Whose record did Albert Pujols for most home runs in the first ten seasons of a big league career?
Q. Name the only player to hit a major league home run and score an NFL touchdown in the same week.
Q. Which finger on a pitcher’s throwing hand controls a curve ball and slider?
Q. What former Negro League player is the only pitcher in the Hall of Fame with a losing major league record?
Q. Who set a major league record for the fewest errors by a shortstop, with three in 1990?
Q. Who was the only major leaguer to play at least 500 games with each of four teams – Houston, Montréal, New York and Detroit?
Q. What 50-year old minor league pitcher did 57,000 fans crowd the Orange Bowl to watch in 1956?
Q. Name the teams that hold the record for most home runs in a game in the NL and AL.
Q. In NL – Cincinnati Reds: 9 homers in a 22-3 win over the Phillies
Q. What major league pitcher racked up the most career wins without ever winning the Cy Young Award?
Q. Name the player who holds the low-water mark for the lowest batting average ever by a league leader.
Q. Which pitcher holds the MLB record for the most strikeouts in a single game?
Q. Name the pitcher who holds the record for striking out ten consecutive batters in a game?
Q. Can you name the only two players to hit five homers in a double header?
Q. Name the only pitcher to throw consecutive no-hitters.
Q. Name the five original HOF selectees.
Q. Who was the only player to hit two grand slams in one inning?
Q. Name the only major leaguer to a grand slam hitting right-handed and left-handed in the same game.
Q. Who was the first National Leaguer to hit two grand slams in one game?
Q. Name the HOFer who is the oldest pitcher to throw a no-hitter.
Q. Who was the first black pitcher to play in a World Series?
Q. What are the original names of the Milwaukee Brewers and Houston Astros?
Q. Who is the HOF pitcher who won the most games (in a single season) for a last place team?
Q. Name the Twin who, on July 4, 1961, hit the first inside-the-park home run at the Twins’ original home, Met Stadium.
Q. Who has the most hits in Phillies history?
Q. Which three players share the MLB record with a home run in eight consecutive games?
Q. Before Matt Carpenter, who was the only player to post a three-homer, two-double game?
Q. Who holds the Dodgers’ single-season record for home runs after the All-Star break?
Q. Before Scooter Gennett, who was the last player to hit a game-tying home run in the ninth inning of an All-Star Game?
Q. Which team was the only one to have two different players win the Home Run Derby in back-to-back seasons?
Q. Who are the two pairs of brothers to hit All-Star Game homers in their careers?
Q. Who holds the Indians’ record for extra-base hits in a season?
Q. Who are the only two players to hit All-Star Game homers for each league in their careers?